Total Population: 

2,782

  

Total Households:

      922

  

 

Government Structure: 

Town Council

 

Brief Early History:

 

The town of Cedarville was platted in 1838 by the Ewing Families of Fort Wayne and Cass County and prospectors from Connecticut.  It is located at the point where the St. Joseph River and Cedar Creek meet.  It was the first town established in Cedar Creek Township.  Its early growth was slow mostly due to competition with the town of Hamilton (now Leo) which was platted in 1849 one mile to the north.  Hamilton was located more centrally in the township and was home to the first post office in the township.  The populations of both towns remained relatively small until the 1990s when they saw a considerable increase.  This increase in growth, along with the potential threat of annexation, led to its combined incorporation on January 1, 1996.

Source for Demographics:     U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2000

Sources for History:

B.J. Griswold and Mrs. Samuel R. Taylor, History of Fort Wayne and Allen County. Vol. 1. Robert O. Law Company, Chicago: 1917

Glass, Wendell C., The towns of Allen County 1967

Leo-Cedarville Comprehensive Plan, November 1996

 



Copyright © 2005 - 2017 City of Fort Wayne. All Rights Reserved.